50 Signs of a Toxic Relationship
By: Christine Hammond LMHC
The phrase “toxic relationship” is thrown around quite a bit in our culture. But what really defines a toxic relationship? And how can a person know they are in the middle of one? Fortunately there are early warning signs. Yet it is unfortunate that are frequently overlooked in exchange for attention, affection, excitement, and the hope of commitment.
Sadly, there were more items than 50 that could have been added to this list, but it needed to stop somewhere. Here are the early warning signs of a toxic relationship.
1. Won’t take “no” for an answer.
2. Say you are remembering things wrong.
3. Never know what you are coming home to.
4. Are fearful of making them angry.
5. Find fault with your family and friends.
6. Doesn’t like you hanging out with your friends.
7. Seems to know about your private conversations with others.
8. Says they are the only person you can trust or count on.
9. Nit-picks your behaviors but won’t modify any of theirs.
10. Calls you belittling and/or demeaning names.
11. Demands sex regardless of how you feel.
12. Talks you into doing sexual things that you don’t like.
13. Restricts your access to your money.
14. Threatens to hurt you, themselves, or others.
15. Expects immediate compliance with their requests without question.
16. Tells you how you should and do feel.
17. Refuses to give you any privacy.
18. Turns your family against you.
19. Makes it difficult for you to go to work or stay at work.
20. Puffs themselves up during an argument.
21. Frequently bullies or intimidates.
22. Blocks doorways so you can’t leave.
23. Hides your keys.
24. Has resorted to physical aggression.
25. Rages and rants for long periods of time.
26. Frequently says you have a bad memory.
27. Has an intense burning stare.
28. Ignores you as punishment.
29. Has used weapons such as a gun or knife to make their point.
30. Threatens to abandon the relationship if you don’t comply.
31. Says they are the victims in the relationship.
32. Lies about their actions even after being confronted.
33. Won’t admit to being wrong.
34. Is extreme in their emotional responses.
35. Says they will die without you.
36. Everything must be done their way.
37. It feels like you can never win an argument.
38. Interrupts you but won’t tolerate you interrupting them.
39. Withholds key information but is furious if you do the same.
40. Conveniently forgets promises they make.
41. Is very critical of others.
42. Blames others for things they do.
43. Shares your private information with others without consent.
44. Expects you to drop everything to cheer them up.
45. You feel rejected by them.
46. Hides financial resources and/or debt.
47. Uses religious beliefs to guilt you into submission.
48. Sends hundreds of text messages.
49. Is extremely jealous of others.
50. Refuses to allow you to sleep until they get their way.
If you are in a toxic relationship, it is not too late to get out now. It is better to start over again sooner rather than getting further into an unhealthy relationship that could end in disaster.
To schedule an appointment with Christine Hammond, please call our office at 407-647-7005.