Love 365 Days a Year
By: Cara Griffin-Locker
What is Love? Is it an action? A thought? Or maybe just a feeling? According to the Bible, “Love is patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast and is not proud. Love does not dishonor others nor is not self-seeking. Love is not easily angered or keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in truth. It always protects, trusts, hopes, and perseveres.” (1 Cor. 13:4-7) This is something to think about as we approach the famous Hallmark Holiday. For most of us, Valentine’s Day is a big day that includes the red carpet treatment. From flowers to cards, chocolates and dinner it is the one day to go above and beyond to show the one you love that you truly care, right? Wrong. Many of us have the wrong impression of love. Certainly it is nice to be showered with things on Valentine’s Day but what about the other 364 days? What about showing love without using material items? Now if you are a pessimist you will say that only people who lack Valentines will say such a thing. However, love should be expressed every day of the year, not just on the one day where everything is more expensive and expectations are highest.
Loving someone 365 days a year is not easy but worth the challenge. Expressing love can be exhilarating and a testament of how you feel about yourself. Here are some helpful tips to show love all year long and without using words!
· Make time despite how busy you may be. It is easy to get wrapped up in our own lives so making time for the person you love or simply care about is vital even if it means just going for a cup of coffee or maybe even enjoying a walk in the park.
· Listening is one of the simplest ways to show love without using words. Listening to each word they say even when it’s boring is pertinent in showing those you love that they are important and worthy.
· Acts of kindness are a generous and thoughtful way to show someone how much you mean to them. Doing things such as the dishes, taking out trash or preparing a nice meal may seem small but sometimes it is the small things that count.
· The warmth of a kiss or a hug is sometimes the best and a great way to express love without using words.
· Supporting someone is vital in any relationship. Supporting doesn’t mean you always agree with them but it shows you are reliable, trustworthy and dependable during the good, bad and ugly.
- Random surprises are always fun and a sweet gesture of affection. When you listen to everything a person says, you learn a lot about them. Getting someone their favorite food at the store or surprising them with a special activity shows you take note of what they like and enjoy.
As you go about your life this year, don’t limit the expression of your love to Valentine’s Day. Think about these helpful hints and be mindful of the various ways you can show love without using material items or even words.