I Am Me and You Are You: Self Esteem


 Elizabeth McKeehan, LMHC

I Am Me and You Are You:  Self Esteem 



How Do I View Myself? 

 

Do I speak kindness to myself when I make a mistake or do I rush to criticize?  Do I see myself as enough?  Do I view myself as God sees me?

Ex:  It’s okay you can learn from this and do better next time OR You are such an idiot and will never get it right.

Possible Warning Signs of Low Self-Esteem

1.     anxiety

2.     depression

3.     neglect of appearance

4.     eating disorders

5.     social withdrawal

6.     self doubt /fear of trying new things

7.   negativity

How to Grow in Self Esteem

 

Healthy self esteem requires regular attention.  We are a work in progress.

As Christians we view ourselves accurately when we see ourselves as:

 

Loved            1 John 3:1 “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!

Forgiven       Matthew 12:31 “And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.”

Gifted            1 Corinthians 7:7 “I wish that all of you were as I am.  But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.”

Competent & Powerful     2 Timothy 1:7 “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

 

1.         Speak to yourself truthful, kind, realistic words often.

“I can do this if I keep trying little by little” It’s a “cinch by the inch”

2.         Name your gift areas and hone them. Even teach someone else.

3.         Normalize weakness or even failure as growth areas. Everyone has areas in need of attention.

4.         Recognize and eliminate negative self talk.  Pay attention to what reels in your mind get stuck on repeat.  Ask yourself if you would say that to a close friend?

5.        Thank You:  helpful simply saying “That’s very kind for you to say/notice.”

6.        Kindness:  practice this as it helps you get outside of yourself.

7.        Appearance: cleanliness, clothes, posture. This is a way to be kind to yourself.

8.         Unique: No one is good at everything, but each is unique and so are you!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Red Head, A Blond, and A Brunette: What Do We Have In Common?

5 Ways Codependency Gets Confused With Love

58 Warning Signs of Cheating Partners